CCC Stone Arch Bridge
Roosevelt's Tree Army
The men of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) companies 1729, 2736, 3799-V, 4733, and 4747 built many of the features you see at Crowley's Ridge State Park today. The CCC was a nationwide relief effort developed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt during the Great Depression of the 1930s. Over 3 million unemployed men were given the opportunity to earn a living by building public works projects, including several state parks in Arkansas. Enrollees earned $30 per month. They were allowed to keep $5 and the remainder was sent home to help their families.
CCC camps were operated by the Army. In Arkansas, park design and construction supervision were provided by the National Park Service and the Arkansas State Parks Commission. Architectural drawings like the one above from 1934 give us insight into the planning and design of projects we still enjoy today.
“Rustic Resort Style” design uses native materials to blend man-made
Drawing: Built in 1935 to span natural drainage channels, this 40 foot long
bridge allowed construction of the present day park access road.
Bottom left: Native stones quarried from nearby Stanford, Ark.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Bridges & Viaducts. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) 🏞️ series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1729.
Location. 36° 2.746′ N, 90° 39.856′ W. Marker is in Walcott, Arkansas, in Greene County. Marker is on Arkansas Route 168 0.6 miles north of Arkansas Route 141, on the right when traveling north. Located at the northern end of Crowley's Ridge State Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Walcott AR 72474, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. CCC Pavilion (within shouting distance of this marker); 5th Arkansas Infantry Regiment (approx. 8˝ miles away); Paragould War Memorial (approx. 9.8 miles away).
More about this marker. The 291 acre park was originally constructed in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps with original stone and log structures.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.