Project Dogwood: Staunton's Tradition Reborn
In 1935, City Manager James Ruff determined to make Staunton the Dogwood Capital of Virginia, an appropriate goal, as the dogwood is the state flower and tree. Over 1,800 dogwoods were planted on public and private land during his tenure, dotting Staunton's landscape with beautiful spring blooms and providing a valuable food source for songbirds, squirrels and other small wildlife. Unfortunately, the Great Depression, World War II and a deadly dogwood disease (Anthracnose) put an end to Mr. Ruff's dream.
However in 2012, The Augusta Garden Club revived his vision and designated funds to restore the dogwood to Staunton. Working in cooperation with the city horticulturist, the club donated 67 trees to Gypsy Hill Park. A $10,000 grant from the Founders Fund of The Garden Club of America in 2017, combined with local grants, provided the means to purchase dogwoods for Montgomery Hall Park, Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind, and public elementary schools.
Planted in front of you is a "living laboratory" of seven hybrid cultivars that have thrived in Staunton. Consider choosing one of these beautiful trees for your own yard to
Erected by The Augusta Garden Club.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Horticulture & Forestry. A significant historical year for this entry is 1935.
Location. 38° 9.716′ N, 79° 4.972′ W. Marker is in Staunton, Virginia. Marker is on Constitution Drive, 1.1 miles west of Churchville Avenue (U.S. 250), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 807 Churchville Ave, Staunton VA 24401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 116th Infantry Regiment Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lt. Col. Jacob Earl "Shorty" Manch (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gypsy Express (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lewis Creek Watershed (approx. 0.6 miles away); Confederate Dead Monument - Thornrose Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Augusta County Confederates Plaque (approx. 0.7 miles away); Stuart Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away); Central Methodist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Staunton.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 140 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.