Plymouth in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Geer, a well-funded school, provided free textbooks, uncommon in the 19th century. From 1829 to 1869, each family paid a tax based on the number of days their children attended school. These "rate bills" were repealed by the state legislature in 1869 when free public education was mandated.
A social center for the farming community, Geer School hosted annual Thanksgiving Day dinners, spring picnics and dances. Closed in 1982, Geer School was restored in the late 1980's through a community
Erected by Washtenaw County Historic Distric Commission. (Marker Number SU-41.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
Location. 42° 20.493′ N, 83° 34.035′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Plymouth Road and Gottfredson Road, on the right when traveling west on Plymouth Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9981 Plymouth Rd, Plymouth MI 48170, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Wesley Conant House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Jarvis Stone School (approx. 2.7 miles away); Canton Pioneer Home (approx. 2.8 miles away); Preservation Park (approx. 2.8 miles away); Bartlett Travis House (approx. 2.8 miles away); Farming in Canton (approx. 2.8 miles away); Palmer Shed (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Historic Cady Barn (approx. 2.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 24 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 10, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.