Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Black Rock in Randolph County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Oldest Town Site in Arkansas

Old Davidsonville State Park

 
 
Oldest Town Site in Arkansas Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 3, 2021
1. Oldest Town Site in Arkansas Marker
Inscription.  The first post office in Arkansas was established here on June 28, 1817, with Adam Richie as postmaster. Old Davidsonville was also the site of the first court house in Arkansas, built in 1815. The first United States Land Office in Arkansas was built here in 1820. John Davidson, for whom the town was named, represented this county in the Missouri Territorial Legislature in 1816. Stephen F. Austin, the father of Texas, held the first territorial court here in 1820. The land for this park was donated to the state by Mr. And Mrs. Newt Davis, and Mr. And Mrs. Eugene Sloan.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is June 28, 1817.
 
Location. 36° 9.269′ N, 91° 3.375′ W. Marker is near Black Rock, Arkansas, in Randolph County. Marker can be reached from Arkansas Route 166 0.6 miles south of Arkansas Route 361. Located 11 miles south of Pocahontas within the Davidsonville Historic State Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8047 Hwy 166 S, Pocahontas AR 72455, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. County Seat Town (here, next to this marker); Courthouse Square
Oldest Town Site in Arkansas Marker at Courthouse "ghost" structure. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 3, 2021
2. Oldest Town Site in Arkansas Marker at Courthouse "ghost" structure.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(here, next to this marker); Davidsonville's Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Archeology Uncovers the Past (within shouting distance of this marker); Decline and Abandonment (within shouting distance of this marker); Public House (within shouting distance of this marker); County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Commerce and Business (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Black Rock.
 
More about this marker. Marker is located within the Public Square on the Historic Townsite Trail.
 
Also see . . .  Encyclopedia of Arkansas article about Davidsonville Historic State Park. (Submitted on April 12, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Oldest Town Site in Arkansas Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 3, 2021
3. Oldest Town Site in Arkansas Marker
Map showing Public Square and park trails. image. Click for full size.
By State of Arkansas brochure
4. Map showing Public Square and park trails.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 12, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170802

Paid Advertisement
May. 14, 2021