Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Orange in Orange County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Orange Train Station

 
 
Orange Train Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, January 5, 2008
1. Orange Train Station Marker
Inscription.  Beginning in 1749, Orange County's successive courthouses have been located just west of here. In 1854, the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, constructed to link Alexandria with central Virginia, reached Orange and a train station was built near here. The 1804 courthouse was replaced in 1859 by the present Italianate structure a block further west. The buildings around the train station comprised one of the town's early commercial districts. A 1908 fire destroyed the original train station and the buildings on the north side of this block. The station and the Main Street structures east and west of it were rebuilt in the early 1900s.
 
Erected 1998 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number F-30.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Orange and Alexandria Railroad series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1749.
 
Location. 38° 14.72′ N, 78° 6.604′ W. Marker is in Orange, Virginia, in Orange County. Marker
Orange Train Station image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, January 12, 2008
2. Orange Train Station
Click or scan to see
this page online
is at the intersection of East Main Street (State Highway 20) and Short Street, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street. Located at the old train station, just to the east of the train tracks. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 122 E Main St, Orange VA 22960, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Orange County Visitor Center (a few steps from this marker); The Orange Railroad Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to… The Town of Orange (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Downtown Orange (within shouting distance of this marker); Town of Orange (within shouting distance of this marker); Crosthwaite Alley (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); General Zachary Taylor (about 300 feet away); Confederate Dead (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
 
Also see . . .  Orange and Alexandria Railroad. Extensive listing of stations, bridges, and even railroad engines used on the O & A. (Submitted on January 13, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Section of the Old Orange Commercial District image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, January 12, 2008
3. Section of the Old Orange Commercial District
Orange Court House image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, January 12, 2008
4. Orange Court House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 13, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,707 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on April 12, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 13, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170870

Paid Advertisement
May. 6, 2021