Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Holy Cross Mission
A religious force since 1865, when the Rev. J.M. Curtis and 24 Harrisburg communicants met in a mission called Nativity, changed to Holy Cross about 1875.
Numbering from 12 to 50 as the local economy shifted, members - especially the women - spent years raising building funds. At last, in 1895, a red brick church with a steeple was erected, facing Erath Street.
Although repaired after 1900 hurricane damage, that structure eventually fell into ruin. The present church and parish house were dedicated on April 4, 1920, by Bishop Clinton S. Quin.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10687.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is April 4, 1920.
Location. 29° 43.204′ N, 95° 16.793′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Medina Street and East Erath Street, on the left when traveling north on Medina Street. The marker is located in front of the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 710 Medina Street, Houston TX 77012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Site of the Home of Mrs. Jane Harris (approx. 0.2 miles away); Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Harrisburg (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Old Harrisburg (approx. 0.3 miles away); Magnolia Park (approx. 1.3 miles away); Lorenzo de Zavala (approx. 1.3 miles away); Magnolia Park City Hall and Central Fire Station (approx. 1˝ miles away); Hidalgo Park Quiosco (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.