Salem in Harrison County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Erected 1974 by West Virginia Department of Archives and History.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1794.
Location. 39° 16.979′ N, 80° 33.808′ W. Marker is in Salem, West Virginia, in Harrison County. Marker is on West Main Street 0.1 miles east of West Virginia Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 230 W Main St, Salem WV 26426, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salem Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away); Greenbrier Church & Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away); Center Point Covered Bridge (approx. 8.3 miles away); Matthew M. Neely (approx. 9.2 miles away); Jackson's Mill (approx. Jackson's Mill (approx. 13.8 miles away); J.H. Diss Debar (approx. 14.4 miles away); First M.P. Church (approx. 14.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
More about this marker. “West Fork” refers to the West Fork River and its valley, which runs south-to-north through Clarksburg. “The Ohio” is the Ohio River.
Also see . . . Wikipedia Entry. Excerpts:
Salem was settled in the summer of 1790 — as "New Salem" — by forty Seventh Day Baptist families from Shrewsbury, New Jersey.(Submitted on April 13, 2021.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.