Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Black Rock in Randolph County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Davidsonville's Courthouse

 

— Davidsonville Historic State Park —

 
Davidsonville's Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 3, 2021
1. Davidsonville's Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  The steel beams surrounding you form a "ghost structure” to represent the essence of the courthouse as it stood during Davidsonville's prime.

Arkansas's first courthouse took three years to complete (1819-1822). It was the most prominent building in town and symbolized law and order in a largely rough and lawless frontier. People walked through its halls for much of the same business that is conducted in courthouses today, including voting, paying taxes, marriages, and of course, court sessions.

While archeological work has proven this was a two-story brick building with glass windows, no written description of the courthouse has been found. Images of its exterior appearance and interior layout have been recreated to look like other courthouses built around the same time in nearby states.

September 22, 1821:

“Davidsonville is a neat little village pleasantly situated in the fork of the river; it is the county seat for Lawrence; it has a good log jail and a brick courthouse is now building."

Across the Wide Missouri: The Diary of a Journey from Virginia to Missouri in 1819 and Back

Davidsonville's Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 3, 2021
2. Davidsonville's Courthouse Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Again in 1822,
James Brown Campbell

Photo caption:
Concept of courthouse floor plans created by the Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Arkansas.

 
Erected by the State of Arkansas.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is September 22, 1821.
 
Location. 36° 9.264′ N, 91° 3.37′ W. Marker is near Black Rock, Arkansas, in Randolph County. Marker can be reached from Arkansas Route 166 0.6 miles south of Highway 361 when traveling south. Located 11 miles south of Pocahontas within the Davidsonville Historic State Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8047 Hwy 166 S, Pocahontas AR 72455, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oldest Town Site in Arkansas (a few steps from this marker); County Seat Town (a few steps from this marker); Courthouse Square (a few steps from this marker); Archeology Uncovers the Past (within shouting distance of this marker); Decline and Abandonment (within shouting distance of this marker); House Lots (within shouting distance of this marker); First Postal Stop (within shouting distance of this marker); Commerce and Business (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Black Rock.
 
Related marker.

Marker at far end of the 'ghost" Courthouse structure. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 3, 2021
3. Marker at far end of the 'ghost" Courthouse structure.
Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Map showing Public Square and park trails. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, April 12, 2021
4. Map showing Public Square and park trails.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 13, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170920

Paid Advertisement
May. 14, 2021