Dalton in Whitfield County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
In Dalton's mill villages, the village school played a central and positive role in the lives of children who attended them. Mill village schools were located outside the city limits of Dalton, so they were part of the Whitfield County School System. The mills supplemented the county's pay for teachers. In the mill schools, pupils attended school for nine months of the year unlike other county schools that attended for five months of the year. During the era of school consolidation in Whitfield County in the late 1920s to late 1930s, none of the mill village schools merged with other schools.
All three mill schools served
In 1946, the Dalton city limits expanded to include Crown Point and Boylston Crown schools. Crown Point changed locations to Jones Street, became Crown View School in 1952, then Westwood School in 1974. Boylston Crown School closed in 1963, merging with Brookwood Elementary. Atcooga, which remained part of the Whitfield County Schools, closed in 1964.
Two mill school buildings still stand and are in use. The old Atcooga School on South Thornton Avenue or Dixie Highway is the central office of the Whitfield County Schools. The old Boylston Crown School, located on Bryant Avenue, now houses City of Refuge, a nonprofit organization.
The textile and tufting industry companies and other townspeople strongly supported the school systems over the years building robust educational institutions. Both Dalton and Whitfield County public schools are educating area children well to ready them
Photographs courtesy of Whitfield-Murray Historical Society, Bandy Heritage Center, Carpet & Rug Institute, and Georgia Archives (Marker Number 4.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 34° 45.029′ N, 84° 58.193′ W. Marker is in Dalton, Georgia, in Whitfield County. Marker is on South Thornton Avenue north of Conway Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1306 South Thornton Avenue, Dalton GA 30720, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The McCarty Neighborhood (approx. ¾ mile away); 600 Block of McCamy Street (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Blunt House (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Mechanization of the Bedspread Industry (approx. 1.3 miles away); Our Textile Legacy (approx. 1.3 miles away); Dalton Confederate Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Welcome to Dalton! (approx. 1.3 miles away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dalton.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.