Private Residence / Post Office
— Davidsonville Historic State Park —
Situated on the corner of the town square and next to the main road, this house was prominent in the hustle and bustle of the town. The ghost structure demonstrates the home's large size and its important location in Davidsonville.
Archeological excavations in Lot 9 revealed a massive continuous foundation of limestone that would have supported a two-story log building similar to the Jacob Wolf House in Norfork, Arkansas (built in 1829). Like the Wolf House, it is believed this house was built in the dogtrot style with an open breezeway in the middle of the first floor.
It has long been speculated that this could have been the home of Davidsonville's first postmaster, Adam Richey, which would make it the site of Arkansas's first post office. During excavations many household items were found here, including jewelry, metal military buttons, glass bottles, cups, spoons, and knives.
Concepts of the post office/residence and of Lot 9 with gardens
Jacob Wolf House near Norfork (Baxter County), constructed in 1829 as the first permanent courthouse for Izard County.
Erected by the State of Arkansas.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1829.
Location. 36° 9.247′ N, 91° 3.32′ W. Marker is in Black Rock, Arkansas, in Randolph County. Marker can be reached from Arkansas Route 166 0.6 miles south of Arkansas Route 361 when traveling south. Located 11 miles south of Pocahontas and within the Davidsonville Historic State Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8047 Hwy 166 S, Pocahontas AR 72455, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Postal Stop (a few steps from this marker); House Lots (within shouting distance of this marker); Decline and Abandonment (within shouting distance of this marker); Davidsonville's Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Archeology Uncovers the Past (about 300 feet away); Courthouse Square (about 300 feet away); Oldest Town Site in Arkansas (about 300 feet away); County Seat Town (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Black Rock.
Related marker. Click
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.