Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. James United Methodist Church
In 1867, a small group of African Americans left Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church to organize a new Methodist congregation closer to their homes in Freedmen's Town. They began worshipping under a brush arbor on Buffalo Bayou. In 1871, trustees purchased land and built a permanent sanctuary on Howard at Second Street (now Bluebonnet Place Circle at Nash). During the annual Methodist Conference in 1873, the church was named West Point African Methodist Episcopal Church, with the Rev. Gabriel Todd as the first pastor. By 1880, it was renamed St. James Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1908 Houston defined a red-light district that included the church, prompting the members to move their building to the corner of Andrews and Wilson Streets in 1910.
Throughout its history, the St. James congregation has focused on helping those in need. Its women's ministry, formed in the early 1930s, raised scholarship funds for college-bound students. Other ministries include the church's home mission, organized in the 1940s to visit and aid shut-ins, and a youth fellowship formed in the 1950s. Members have also worked in the community through
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15870.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
Location. 29° 45.359′ N, 95° 22.878′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Wilson Street and Andrews Street, on the right when traveling north on Wilson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1217 Wilson Street, Houston TX 77019, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J. Vance Lewis (a few steps from this marker); The Reverend Ned P. Pullum (within shouting distance of this marker); Rutherford B.H. Yates, Sr., House (within shouting distance of this marker); Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church (about New Zion Temple Church - Worldwide Fellowship, Inc. (about 700 feet away); William C. Swearingen (about 700 feet away); Henry Livingston Thompson (about 700 feet away); Robert W. Montgomery (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 14, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.