Winthrop in Suffolk County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Upon this historic site there once stood our three village schools. The first, a one room school built in 1805, was replaced in 1851 when a larger one was needed. The first Town Hall was built here in 1856 with a school on the second floor. Lucius Floyd told how when he was a pupil in 1851 water was supplied by sending a boy to an old well belonging to Samuel Belcher, and the sparkling beverage dispensed around the room from a rusty dipper. He relates that a stove where two-foot logs were burned occupied the center of the room, the older boys taking turns building the fires and sweeping. Seventy-five years later the old wooden Town Hall was torn down and the brick United States Post Office built in its place, in the year 1932. Now the Winthrop Police Station occupies the Post Office building since 1993.
Erected 1997 by Winthrop Historical Commission and Winthrop Board of Selectmen.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 42° 22.609′ N, 70° 59.076′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 Pauline Street, Winthrop MA 02152, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Deane Winthrop House (approx. half a mile away); Governor Winthrop House (approx. one mile away); The Battle of Chelsea Creek (approx. 2˝ miles away); Bellingham-Cary Mansion (approx. 2.6 miles away); City of Revere Civil War Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away); City of Revere (approx. 2.6 miles away); Liberty and Union (approx. 2.7 miles away); Soldiers and Sailors of Ward 2 (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winthrop.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 14, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.