Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church
As Houston's Third Ward neighborhood developed, the Rev. James Harvey Makey (1849-1915) called neighbors to his home in 1879 to form the Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church. Makey, a member of Antioch Baptist Church, found guidance from Antioch's pastor, the noted Rev. John Henry "Jack" Yates. Rev. Makey and Deacon Clarence Young constructed a small frame church building in 1884. Makey and his wife, Jeanette, served the congregation for many years. Other early leaders included Brother Henry Thomas, the first Sunday School superintendent, as well as Deacons Joe McConico, David Thompson, and Willie Hogan. Members held revivals in the spring and conducted baptisms on Easter Sunday in Buffalo Bayou. In 1917, the growing congregation purchased this site for a new sanctuary.
The Rev. Joseph Patience Churchwell became pastor in 1928 and served until his death in January 1957. During his years of leadership the congregation developed many programs, including evangelism, twelve Mission Circles, men's chorus, youth council and various boards and groups. His wife and daughter were also active in building the congregation's services. In 1954,
Church members called the Rev. David Leon Everett, II to serve as pastor in 1957, and he served until his death in 1990. Under his guidance the church initiated community outreach activities and participated in various Baptist networks. More than 1,500 members joined during his time as pastor.
Today, Jerusalem Missionary Baptist congregation continues to uphold the standards set by its strong leaders, playing an active role in community life. The church has met at this location since its founding in the Rev. Makey's home.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13074.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1957.
Location. 29° 44.241′ N, 95° 21.907′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Tuam Street and Hutchins Street, on the right when traveling west on Tuam Street. The marker is located at the west side of the Jerusalem Baptist Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2201 Tuam Street, Houston TX 77004, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Richard Allen (within shouting distance of this marker); Reverend David Elias Dibble (about 600 feet away, The Legacy of Emancipation Park (about 700 feet away); St. John Missionary Baptist Church (about 800 feet away); Richard Brock (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sixth Church of Christ, Scientist (approx. 0.2 miles away); Reverend John Henry "Jack" Yates (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity East United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.