Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Edmond in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Edmond Station, Indian Territory

 
 
Edmond Station, Indian Territory Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 8, 2021
1. Edmond Station, Indian Territory Marker
Inscription.  The Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad gave birth to Edmond, Oklahoma in terms of location and name on April 22, 1889. During road construction it was known as Mile 103 or "Summit," a side track stop on a high point (elev 1198 feet) of the railway grade between the Cimarron and the North Canadian Rivers. On March 28, 1887, the stop was officially named "Edmond Station" for Edmond Burdick, the Santa Fe's traveling freight agent and full train service began in June. The AT&SF's first coaling barn for the unassigned lands was located here. John N. Steen, the first permanent resident, completed the water well for the steam locomotives in May of 1888. The conical-covered well, pump house, water tower, depot, telegraph, and express office that were along the railroad right-of-way from Third Street to north of West Second and the coaling barn near Fifth were "Edmond" before the "run." The name was retained by the '89ers who established the town around the station.
 
Erected 1993 by Oklahoma Historical Society, Edmond Historic Preservation Trust, Edmond Historical Society & Kirkpatrick Foundation, Inc.
 
Topics and series.
Edmond Station, Indian Territory Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 8, 2021
2. Edmond Station, Indian Territory Marker
Marker is located at the southwest corner of the grounds of Edmond Farmers Market
Click or scan to see
this page online
This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 22, 1889.
 
Location. 35° 39.213′ N, 97° 29′ W. Marker is in Edmond, Oklahoma, in Oklahoma County. Marker can be reached from West 1st Street. Marker is located at the southwest corner of the grounds of Edmond Farmers Market. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 26 W 1st St, Edmond OK 73003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leaping Into History (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Farmers Grain Company (about 500 feet away); Central State Normal (approx. 0.2 miles away); Edmond Public School 1889 (approx. ¼ mile away); Statue of Liberty Replica (approx. 0.3 miles away); Central State College (approx. 0.3 miles away); Classen's Grove (approx. 0.3 miles away); Stephenson Park (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edmond.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171180

Paid Advertisement
May. 17, 2021