Cumberland in Allegany County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The extension from Cumberland to Connellsville, Pennsylvania was completed in 1912 at an enormous cost through rugged and mountainous country. The line was built to serve a twofold purpose; to provide a western outlet for the Western Maryland and an eastern tidewater outlet for the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad. It afforded the Western Maryland the shortest line between Baltimore and Pittsburgh and the lowest grade line across the Allegheny Mountains.
These 1915 photographs include a Baltimore to Chicago passenger train entering the tunnel, soon to emerge into the Jennings Run Valley.
Photographs by Joseph Meyers and from the collection of Albert and Angela Feldstein
Erected by Mountain Maryland Trails and Maryland State Highway Administration's National Recreatrional Trails Program.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
Location. 39° 41.343′ N, 78° 48.832′ W. Marker is in Cumberland, Maryland, in Allegany County. Marker can be reached from Proenty Road Northwest south of Stoney Creek Drive, on the right when traveling south. Marker is west of the Cash Valley Road Trail Access Parking Area along the Great Allegheny Passage Trail. It is at the south entrance to Brush Tunnel. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cumberland MD 21502, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Helmstetter's "Horseshoe" Curve (approx. 0.8 miles away); Corriganville Honor Roll (approx. 1.3 miles away); The First Iron Rails (approx. 1.8 miles away); Barrellville Honor Roll (approx. 1.8 miles away); “The Narrows” (approx. 2˝ miles away); The Narrows (approx. 2˝ miles away); Site of Bridge 1834 (approx. 2˝ miles away); The National Road (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 18, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.