Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church
Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church was one of three African American churches founded in Houston in 1866, the year after the end of the Civil War and the emancipation of enslaved Texans. The congregation was organized by the Rev. Henry Stewart, and first met in a tent on Commerce Street. In the fall of 1866, the Freedmen’s Bureau established a school on the church’s property for formerly enslaved children and adults, one of the first three such schools in Houston. After the closing of the Freedmen’s Bureau schools in 1870, the congregation continued to use their church as an educational facility as late as 1882.
In 1872, Stewart, along with church trustees, purchased a small lot in the Second Ward, fronting German Street (later Canal Street). Church structures were destroyed by fire in 1873, by a great “Norther” in 1876, and by the Great Hurricane of 1900; each time, the church rebuilt. The congregation purchased property at 2301 Nagle Street in 1928, and a new edifice was constructed at this location in 1941. The property on Canal Street was sold in 1944. In 1963, the church was expanded, retaining the 1941 structure
As one of Houston’s earliest African American churches, Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church has served as a mother church within its vicinity, aiding in the establishment of many churches throughout the years and fostering their growth. Today, Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church continues in this role as an important institution within Houston’s African American community.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15742.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1866.
Location. 29° 44.302′ N, 95° 21.48′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Nagle Street and Hadley Street, on the right when traveling north on Nagle Street. The marker is located at the north corner of the Church near the main entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2301 Nagle Street, Houston TX 77004, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fourth Missionary Baptist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Benjamin Jesse Covington and the Covington House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Blue Triangle Branch, Y.W.C.A. Building (approx. 0.2 Grand Court Order of Calanthe of Texas (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity East United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); St. John Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Greater Zion Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jordan Grove Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.