Saint Joseph Cathedral / Diocese of Bardstown
Saint Joseph Cathedral. Planned by Bishop Flaget and designed by John Rogers, the cathedral was dedicated Aug. 8, 1819. It is constructed of locally quarried stone, hand-made bricks, and pillars hewn from nearby trees. Catholics and Protestants donated materials, money and labor to the project. It is first Roman Catholic cathedral built in U.S. west of Allegheny Mountains.
Diocese of Bardstown. From 1808 to 1841 the Bardstown Diocese of the Roman Catholic Church provided leadership for a ten-state area. Under the guidance of Bishop Benedict Thomas Flaget, the church at Bardstown became a religious and education center. In 1841 Flaget and the See of the diocese were moved to Louisville.
Erected 2003 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2111.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is August 8, 1819.
Location. 37° 48.619′ N, 85° 28.321′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bethlehem Academy (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Spalding Hall (about 700 feet away); One Room School House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Talbott Tavern (approx. ¼ mile away); Successful Surgery (approx. ¼ mile away); Parc Billom (approx. ¼ mile away); Benedict Joseph Flaget (approx. 0.3 miles away); Confederates Here (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bardstown.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 23 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 19, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.