Bedias in Grimes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Bedias First Baptist Church
The Rev. Anderson Buffington (1806-91), a Baptist missionary who fought at the Battle of San Jacinto in 1836, organized this church in 1848. Services were held in a small schoolhouse until the 1850s. In 1859 the congregation built this structure, which also served as a school until about 1903. Members of this fellowship helped start several other Baptist churches nearby. The congregation survived a split in 1913, but later dwindled because of population changes. The last regular service was held here in 1965. Restored in 1974, the building was deeded to the Bedias Cemetery Association.
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9407.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
Location. 30° 46.363′ N, 95° 56.517′ W. Marker is in Bedias, Texas, in Grimes County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 2620 and Magnolia Street, on the left when traveling east on Highway 2620. The marker is located at the front entrance of the church.Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bedias TX 77831, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Bedias (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jozye Church and Cemetery (approx. 8.7 miles away); Zion Cemetery (approx. 8.9 miles away); Katy Holland McDowell Treadwell Cobb (approx. 8.9 miles away); Site of Bullard Community (approx. 9.7 miles away); Wilson Chapel Methodist Church (approx. 12 miles away); Jubal Richard Parten (approx. 12.2 miles away); Buck Foster Cemetery (approx. 12.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.