Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Clinton in Ottawa County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Port Clinton Light Station

 
 
Port Clinton Light Station Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, October 10, 2020
1. Port Clinton Light Station Marker
Inscription.  One of the earliest lighthouses on Lake Erie, Port Clinton's first lighthouse was a forty-foot split-stone tower erected at mouth of the Portage River in 1833. A detached stone dwelling provided living quarters for the lighthouse keeper and his family. This light was discontinued in 1870 due to it's poor location and a lack of river traffic, but a growing fishing and tourism industry in the late 19th Century led to the rerouting of the river and construction of a new lighthouse in 1896. This pier light ensured safe passage in and out of the Portage River, a kerosene lamp and fifth order Fresnel lens providing a fixed red light visible for eight miles. A two-story wood home replaced the old stone dwelling, and a boathouse was built at the south end of the east pier to facilitate access to the lighthouse. Converted to electricity in 1926, the light continued to operate until 1952. Although the keeper's dwelling and boathouse have not survived, the old 1896 lighthouse was meticulously restored by the Port Clinton Lighthouse Conservancy and moved to this site in 2016. It stands today as the last remaining timber-frame lighthouse on
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Lake Erie, a living testament to a colorful maritime past.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1833.
 
Location. 41° 30.901′ N, 82° 56.072′ W. Marker is in Port Clinton, Ohio, in Ottawa County. Marker is on W. State Route 163, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Clinton OH 43452, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Lightkeepers" (within shouting distance of this marker); Keeper's Boathouse (within shouting distance of this marker); War of 1812 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); American Expedition 1813 (about 500 feet away); This Millstone (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle Of Lake Erie Gun (approx. 0.2 miles away); This Anchor (approx. ¼ mile away); Indian Mill Stone (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Clinton.
 
Port Clinton Light Station Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, October 10, 2020
2. Port Clinton Light Station Marker
Port Clinton Light Station Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, October 10, 2020
3. Port Clinton Light Station Marker
Port Clinton Light Station Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, October 10, 2020
4. Port Clinton Light Station Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 247 times since then and 99 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 21, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171473

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024