Teague in Freestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The “Boll Weevil” Railway
Old Division Point Office for
Important Texas transportation artery. Chartered as Trinity & Brazos Valley Railway. Nicknamed for special trains roaring down its tracks, taking men to "Boll Weevil Conferences" - in turn of century alarm over pests attacking cotton and the economy. Another nickname for road was "Turnip & Bean Vine".
The T.& B.V. was founded by an investor-statesman, Col. Edward M. House, famed for his national political power as advisor of U. S. President Woodrow Wilson. House's associates included Frank Andrews, formerly Assistant Attorney General of Texas; Robert H. Baker, statesman and insurance executive; and Benjamin F. Yoakum, lifetime railroad man and agriculturist.
Road was built 1902-1907 from Houston to Cleburne, and with special trackage arrangements it became a short-cut hauler from Galveston to Fort Worth and Dallas. It introduced diesel passenger streamliners to Texas; belonged to Burlington-Rock Island complex during most of its first 60 years of service.
Texas attained a peak of 17,078 miles of railroads in 1933. Trains still have respected roles in freight hauling. But the era of regulating family clocks by
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9856.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1933.
Location. 31° 37.554′ N, 96° 17.118′ W. Marker is in Teague, Texas, in Freestone County. Marker is at the intersection of South 3rd Avenue and Elm Street, on the right when traveling south on South 3rd Avenue. The marker is located in front of the B-RI Railroad Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 South 3rd Avenue, Teague TX 75860, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Teague (here, next to this marker); First Baptist Church of Teague (approx. 0.3 miles away); John F. Wallace House (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Dr. Emmet Headlee House (approx. half a mile away); Llewellyn Notley (approx. 0.8 miles away); William Rufus Boyd, Jr. (approx. 0.8 miles away); Captain Richard B. Haley (approx. 3.9 miles away); Salem Predestinarian Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Teague.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 230 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.