Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Frisco in Summit County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Staley-Rouse House

Circa 1909

 

— Listed on Colorado State Register of Historic Places —

 
Staley-Rouse House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 27, 2017
1. Staley-Rouse House Marker
Inscription.  Originally constructed for freighter William H. Staley and his wife Alvarena Staley in 1909, this log building features unusual vertical and horizontal log construction with rare keyed notching and has a cross-gabled roof. After William Staley's accidental death just prior the completion of the house, Alvarena remarried a man named David Rouse and they resided here until 1930. The design and construction, rare to Colorado, may reflect Nordic (possibly Finnish) influences and demonstrates a high level of skill and workmanship.

Despite alterations to the house in the 1980’s, it is one of the best preserved buildings in Frisco on its original location and is an example of the town's early architecture. The house exchanged many owners until it was purchased by the Town of Frisco in 1998 for commercial space.

Original Owner: William H. & Alvarena Staley

 
Erected by Town of Frisco, Colorado.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
 
Location. 39° 34.564′ 
Staley-Rouse House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 27, 2017
2. Staley-Rouse House Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
N, 106° 5.731′ W. Marker is in Frisco, Colorado, in Summit County. Marker is on Main Street just west of 6th Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Marker is mounted near the Staley-Rouse House entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 518 Main Street, Frisco CO 80443, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Foote's Rest (within shouting distance of this marker); "Ski for Light, Art for Sight" (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stone Huts (approx. 3.6 miles away); Summit County Courthouse (approx. 7 miles away); The Wedding House (approx. 7 miles away); The Exchange (approx. 7 miles away); William Harrison Briggle House (approx. 7 miles away); St. Mary's Church (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frisco.
 
Also see . . .  Staley-Rouse House. William and Alvarena Staley moved to Frisco from New Mexico in 1893 and stayed throughout the town’s slow period before the revival of mining in the early 1900s. William worked as a teamster hauling freight and operating a horse-drawn sleigh in the winter. Within a few years, his growing family and the town’s renewed prosperity prompted him to build a new log house on Main Street. Unfortunately, William died in a wagon accident on October 16, 1908, while the house was still being built. Alvarena saw construction of the house through
Staley-Rouse House image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 27, 2017
3. Staley-Rouse House
(marker visible just right of entrance)
to completion and moved there with her children in January 1909. (Submitted on April 23, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 23, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171495

Paid Advertisement
May. 14, 2021