Melissa in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Paul Baptist Church
One of Collin County's oldest black congregations, this church was organized in 1872 by the Rev. Jeff Shirley of Kentucky. Members worshiped beneath a brush arbor before constructing their first church building in 1885 on land purchased from T.E. Shirley. Three years later, Shirley sold them acreage adjacent to Melissa Cemetery for a church burial ground. After the original sanctuary was destroyed by a tornado on April 13, 1921, a new frame building was erected. For over 100 years, this fellowship has held an annual homecoming celebration in May.
Incise on reverse: Faithful Families · Sanders · Clayton · Thomas · Hawkins · Perry · Thornton · Johnson · Crockett · Frazier · Carter · Jackson
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6198.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is April 13, 1921.
Location. 33° 17.065′ N, 96° 34.514′ W. Marker is in Melissa, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of McKinney Street and Melissa Road, on Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Melissa TX 75454, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ambush at McKinney (approx. 2.8 miles away); Stiff Chapel Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Coffman Cemetery (approx. 3˝ miles away); McLarry Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); Site of Wilmeth-McKinney Homestead (approx. 4˝ miles away); McKinney (approx. 4.6 miles away); First Baptist Church of McKinney at Drexel Street (approx. 5.8 miles away); Site of Muse Academy (approx. 6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 21, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.