Jewett in Leon County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Jewett Methodist Church
The town of Jewett was laid out in December 1871 on the International & Great Northern Railroad line. By 1872 Methodists in the area were meeting for worship services in the home of William R. and Patience Horn Ellis. With the assistance of circuit-riding minister James J. Davis, the Jewett Methodist Church congregation was organized.
In 1873 church trustees purchased land at the corner of Marion and West 2nd Street. Church members soon built a frame sanctuary which faced onto Marion Street. It continued to serve the congregation until 1899, when the church purchased three lots on 2nd street across from the original sanctuary. A new white frame structure with a high steeple was built in 1900.
The congregation grew steadily, and by 1900 included 191 members. In addition to worship services, programs included a Sunday School and women's missionary societies. A new church complex was built in the 1950s. The Jewett Church was a member of various Methodist circuits over the years until it became a full station in 1989. It continues to uphold the traditions of its founders, offering a variety of worship, educational, and outreach
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9626.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1871.
Location. 31° 21.6′ N, 96° 8.816′ W. Marker is in Jewett, Texas, in Leon County. Marker is at the intersection of South Broadway and Spruiell Street, on the left when traveling north on South Broadway. The marker is located at the front entrance to the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 223 South Broadway, Jewett TX 75846, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James and Julia Anderson House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); History of the Frisco Emblem (approx. ¼ mile away); Hattie Barnes Adkisson (approx. 0.7 miles away); Manaen Turnbull Smith (approx. 0.7 miles away); Colonel Robert Simonton Gould (approx. 6.7 miles away); Concord Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 7.2 miles away); Site of Worthy Store (approx. 9.3 miles away); Leon County Courthouse (approx. 12.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jewett.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 22, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.