St. Paul United Methodist Church
In 1915, Reverend S.D. Hackett introduced Methodism to the historic westside of Port Arthur, creating Hackett Chapel, a black Methodist Church, with seventeen faithful members. The "prayer band” began meeting at the Ila Hall on West 7th street and then in members' homes. Hackett Chapel officially went on the Gulf Coast Black Conference record in 1920 as St. Paul Methodist Episcopal Church. The first church was erected through a grant from the board of home missions from Port Arthur College in 1920 at 848 Lincoln Avenue and opened in 1926.
In 1964, as church membership continued to grow, the church trustees began negotiations to purchase the O.C.A.W. Hall - Local 254, located at 821 Texas Avenue, as the new church location. On Sunday, November 14, 1965, the first church service was held at the new location and was led by Bishop Noah W. Moore, Jr., resident Bishop of the southwestern area. In 1968, Reverend Hubert B. Liedy, Jr., led the church through the United Methodist Church integration process. Through this merger, the church name changed to St. Paul United Methodist Church.
Despite their small congregation,
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 52.072′ N, 93° 56.699′ W. Marker is in Port Arthur, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Freeman Avenue north of West 8th Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 821 Freeman Avenue, Port Arthur TX 77640, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Israel Chapel A.M.E. Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rock Island Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Kansas City Southern Railway in Port Arthur (approx. 0.4 miles away); Port Arthur-Beaumont Interurban Railway (approx. 0.7 miles away); South County Office Building (approx. 0.8 miles away); Francis John (Frank) Trost (approx. 0.8 miles away); Lakeshore/Lions Park (approx. 1.3 miles away); Arthur Edward Stilwell (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Arthur.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 24, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 24, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.