Cannelton in Perry County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
— Perry County Indiana Heritage Project —
Perry County’s boundaries had changed by 1859. The county offices and courthouse were then moved into a remodeled house in Cannelton to provide a more centrally located county seat. In 1896 this Renaissance Revival building was built to serve as the county offices and courthouse. The building, designed by John Bacon Hutchings a Louisville architect, is constructed of straw colored brick with Bedford lime stone trim on a locally quarried sandstone foundation. It has been said that the building’s symmetry proves the old proverb: “beauty is its own excuse for being.” It served as the county seat until 1994, when the county offices and courthouse were moved into a modern more accessible building.
Erected 2005 by Perry County CVB.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
Location. 37° 54.723′ N, 86° 44.454′ W. Marker is in Cannelton, Indiana, in Perry County. Marker is on South 7th Street (Indiana Route 66) just north of Taylor Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 South 7th Street, Cannelton IN 47520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gilbert Mortier Marquis de Layfayette (a few steps from this marker); Perry County Rocks (a few steps from this marker); Indiana Cotton Mill (approx. ¼ mile away); Fabric of Cannelton (approx. ¼ mile away); Hawesville Railroad Station (approx. 0.8 miles away in Kentucky); Hawesville (approx. 0.9 miles away in Kentucky); County Named - 1829 (approx. 0.9 miles away in Kentucky); Captain William Davison / Steamboat Disaster (approx. 1.2 miles away in Kentucky). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cannelton.
Regarding Cannelton Courthouse. Contributing property, Cannelton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places #87000108. The building is currently home to the Perry County Museum.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Perry County Indiana Courthouse History
Also see . . .
1. Perry County Old Courthouse Museum. Wikimap entry:
The courthouse was built to replace the first courthouse at Cannelton, which was in a house remodeled for the hasty move of the county seat from Rome in 1859. The building cost $30,000 which was raised by Cannelton citizens and given to the county. (Submitted on April 25, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Perry County Court House, Cannelton, Indiana. Indiana Memory website entry:
Perry County has had four county seats. The first was at Troy, chosen in 1814. The second was Rome (originally named Washington and then Franklin) in 1819. Cannelton became the third in 1859. In 1994 a new county courthouse was opened in Tell City. (Submitted on April 25, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 87 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 25, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.