District 16 Schoolhouse
One-room schools dotted the landscape of Northwest Ohio from the 1830s-1940s. One-room schools could be brick, stone or framed structures, like this one. This school has two doors, one for the boys to enter and one for the girls to enter, but not all one-room schools included this feature. All eight grades would be taught together by one teacher with students ranging from 6 to 21 years old. All students learned the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic. Depending on the community and teacher, students might also study additional subjects such as geography, grammar and orthography (spelling).
Prospective teachers were required to take and pass an examination given by local or county school boards in the basic subjects. Examiners would also judge the teacher's "moral character.” In 1864,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
Location. 41° 32.569′ N, 84° 17.879′ W. Marker is in Archbold, Ohio, in Fulton County. Marker is on Ohio Route 2, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Archbold OH 43502, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Caboose (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); This Log House (about 500 feet away); Peter Stucky's Wagon Shop (about 500 feet away); Community Jail (about 600 feet away); Woodcarvers Shop (about 600 feet away); Bethany United Brethren Church Bell (about 600 feet away); Erie J. Sauder (about 600 feet away); Log School (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Archbold.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 27, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.