Goll Woods / Deputy Surveyor James Riley
Goll Woods. In 1836, Peter GoII (1808-1896), Catherine Marguerite Goll (1813-1903), and son Peter Jr. (1834-1915) arrived in German Township, Fulton County from Grand-Charmont, France. The next year, Goll purchased 80 acres along the Anse des Feves or Bean Creek from the General Land Office in Lima, Ohio. The crek was renamed the Tiffin River for Edward Tiffin, surveyor general, senator, and Ohio's first governor. The Goll farm grew to more than 600 acres. In 1966, Florence Louys (1891-1987), Peter Goll's great granddaughter, sold her share to the State of Ohio and it became the Goll Woods State Nature Preserve in 1974. A forested remainder of the Great Black Swamp, Goll Woods was named a National Natural Landmark, also in 1974. The Goll homestead was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.
Deputy Surveyor James Riley. Two Deputy U.S. General Land Office Surveyors traversed Goll Woods: Benjamin Hough in 1815 and Captain James Riley in 1821. Hough (1772-1819) established the Michigan Meridian in 1815 and was county and state office holder in Ohio. Riley's life was more tumultuous. Riley
Erected 2018 by Northwest Chapter, Professional Land Surveyors of ohio; Toledo Chapter, Professional Land Surveyors of Ohio; The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 5-26.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Horticulture & Forestry • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
Location. 41° 33.264′ N, 84° 21.679′ W. Marker is in Archbold, Ohio, in Fulton County. Marker is on County Road 26 0.2 miles south of County Road F, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Archbold OH 43502, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Goll Woods (a few steps from this marker); Ohio Champion1815 Michigan Meridian Crossing (approx. ¼ mile away); Goll Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Archbold (approx. 3.1 miles away); Erie J. Sauder (approx. 3.3 miles away); This Hungarian Migrant Worker's Wagon (approx. 3.3 miles away); Woodcarvers Shop (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Archbold.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 27, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.