Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tulsa in Tulsa County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

A New Century 1901-1926

 
 
A New Century 1901-1926 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 8, 2021
1. A New Century 1901-1926 Marker
Inscription.  The droplets that fell smudged the arms and faces of those surrounding the crude wooden-framed derrick on the edge of Red Fork. They were black and had the feel of slime, sliding over the drillers' skin.

The Sue Bland No. 1 discovery well came in June 25, 1901, just half a mile from here. It was small but attracted the attention of potential prospectors including Robert Galbreath who would set loose the gusher of the Glenn Pool November 22, 1905.

With the rapidity of development of the Glenn Pool by overwhelmingly independent wildcatters, the 'devil' immediately became the monopolistic Standard Oil Co. The crude had to reach a market before it would produce income or wealth and Standard controlled much of petroleum's means of transport.

A pipeline was initiated at both West Tulsa and the Texas Gulf, planned to meet in the middle. Refineries were brought to West Tulsa: the Uncle Sam, the Texas Co., Cosden (later the Mid-Continent), the Constantin and others. Strings of tanker cars snaked to independent refiners.

Across the Arkansas, the wildcat speculators formed corporations, an 'oil' bank, and
A New Century 1901-1926 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 8, 2021
2. A New Century 1901-1926 Marker
Marker is second from the right, near the Sue Bland Oil Well sculpture.
Click or scan to see
this page online
began a district of art deco skyscrapers.

West Tulsa and Red Fork did the work; drilling and 'finalling' wells, building and operating refineries, pipelines, and sorting tankers leaving the Frisco Yard.

That Yard is just around the bend to the north and east from here, along this way that became the Mother Road.
 
Erected 2014 by Vision 2025.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is June 25, 1901.
 
Location. 36° 6.12′ N, 96° 1.595′ W. Marker is in Tulsa, Oklahoma, in Tulsa County. Marker is on Southwest Boulevard north of West 43rd Place, on the right when traveling north. Located in front of the Crystal City Shopping Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4247 Southwest Blvd, Tulsa OK 74107, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Motoring Public 1926 (here, next to this marker); Transition 1866-1901 (here, next to this marker); Settlement of the Nations 1836-1866 (a few steps from this marker); Crystal City (a few steps from this marker); First Oil Well in Tulsa County (approx. ¼ mile away); Red Fork (approx. 0.3 miles away); Route 66 Historical Village (approx. 0.7 miles away); Clinton Heights (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tulsa.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 28, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=172092

Paid Advertisement
May. 14, 2021