Near Dayton in Greene County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Birthplace of Flight
The first airplane. The first airport. The first permanent flying school. The Wright brothers started them all - here in Dayton.
After their first short flights at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, in 1903, Wilbur and Orville returned home to their workshop in Dayton. They spent the next 18 months building and testing their flying machine - striving for a fully controllable aircraft. By the end of 1905, their machine could fly twenty miles or more at a time.
Erected by National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Air & Space. A significant historical year for this entry is 1903.
Location. 39° 48.42′ N, 84° 3.86′ W. Marker is near Dayton, Ohio, in Greene County. Marker is at the intersection of Marl Road and Symmes Road, on the left when traveling east on Marl Road. Located next to the parking lot at Huffman Prairie Flying Field. Access is from Highway 444 at Communications Blvd, through Gate 16-A. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dayton OH 45433, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Commuter Flyers (a few steps from this marker); Huffman Prairie Flying FieldHuffman Prairie Flying Field (about 400 feet away); The First Airport (about 400 feet away); Flying Field to Air Force Base (about 500 feet away); Trials in an Old Swamp (about 500 feet away); Miss that Tree! (approx. ¼ mile away); Follow the Flight Path (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dayton.
Also see . . . Huffman Prairie Flying Field. (Submitted on April 22, 2021.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Last updated on April 28, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 22, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.