Toledo in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Toledo's First Hospital
St. Vincent's Hospital, renamed the St. Vincent Medical Center in 1983, was founded in 1855 by the Sisters of Charity of Montreal, the "Grey Nuns." They came, following the 1854 cholera epidemic, in answer to a plea from a local Catholic priest "to raise orphans and help cure the sick." The facility has been located at this site since 1858.
Erected 1988 by St. Vincent Medical Center, Toledo Sesquicentennial Commission and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 25-48.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
Location. 41° 40.128′ N, 83° 32.594′ W. Marker is in Toledo, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is on Vermont Avenue 0.1 miles south of Machen Street, on the right when traveling east. The marker is in the drop-off area for Mercy-Health Children's Hospital. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2213 Cherry Street, Toledo OH 43608, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Congregational Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mercy Hospital of Toledo / Mercy Hospital School of NursingPrivate Mark Wood (approx. 0.8 miles away); Willys-Overland Finishing Plant (approx. 0.8 miles away); George Duncan Forsyth (approx. 0.8 miles away); Toledo’s Canals (approx. 0.9 miles away); Spanish American War Memorial (approx. one mile away); 6th Ohio Vol. Infantry Memorial Tree (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toledo.
Also see . . . Hospital to celebrate history of Grey Nuns. Excerpt:
The Grey Nuns no longer walk the halls of Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center, but 160 years after they came to Toledo, their spirit lives on in the hospital.(Submitted on April 30, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 30, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.