Toledo in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. Anthony Church
Construction for the current St. Anthony Church began in 1890 after the original wood-frame church became too small to serve the steadily growing congregation of Polish immigrants coming into the Toledo area. Completed in 1894, St. Anthony was the second Polish church built in Toledo and became known as the "mother" church for the local Polish community serving as many as 8,000 parishioners prior to the 1970s. The first Mass was celebrated on March 4, 1894.
St. Anthony Church served an area known as "Kuschwantz" or cow's tail, possibly referring to the rural nature of the area. This area became the initial settlement for a large number of Polish immigrants from the Poznan area of Poland during the late 1800s. St. Anthony played an integral part in the lives of these oppressed immigrants and was a focal point for those who came to build a new life of freedom for themselves in the United States.
Erected 2004 by St. Anthony Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 48-48.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 4, 1894.
Location. 41° 38.737′ N, 83° 34.639′ W. Marker is in Toledo, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is on Nebraska Avenue near Junction Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1416 Nebraska Avenue, Toledo OH 43607, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Edward Drummond Libbey High School (approx. 0.8 miles away); The University of Toledo (approx. one mile away); Art Tatum (approx. 1.1 miles away); Toledo Museum of Art (approx. 1.3 miles away); First Chartered Girl Scout Council in the United States (approx. 1.3 miles away); Saint Lucas Evangelical Lutheran Congregation/Saint Lucas Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Mercy Hospital of Toledo / Mercy Hospital School of Nursing (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Toledo Zoo / Toledo's Canals (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toledo.
Also see . . . St. Anthony Church. Excerpt:
St. Anthony Parish: “You always(Submitted on May 1, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 1, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.