Toledo in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Saint Lucas Evangelical Lutheran Congregation/Saint Lucas Evangelical Lutheran Church
Saint Lucas Evangelical Lutheran Congregation
In 1886, thirty-six members from Toledo's downtown Lutheran church, St. Paul's, met to form a German-speaking Lutheran congregation for immigrants from Pommern, Mecklenburg and Hanover. Initially worshipping at St. Stephen's at the corner of Harrison and Oliver Street, the congregation built a frame church on this site in 1887. That same year St. Lucas pioneered an early form of health insurance, The Mutual Sick Benefit Society, that later became a larger fraternal organization called The Mutual Sick Benefit Society for Ohio and Other States. In 1999, after joining a program called Reconciling in Christ, St. Lucas became the first Lutheran congregation in northern Ohio to publicly welcome the LGBT communities. Named after Saint Luke, the patron saint of physicians, the church's history is one of healing.
Saint Lucas Evangelical Lutheran Church
St. Lucas's original frame church and parsonage was completed in 1887. In 1911, Pfaender Bros. built the present Sandusky limestone sanctuary. Hann-Wangerin-Weickhardt Company from Milwaukee, Wisconsin made the original
Erected 2015 by St. Lucas Evangelical Lutheran Church and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 65-48.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 41° 37.937′ N, 83° 33.437′ W. Marker is in Toledo, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is at the intersection of Walbridge Avenue and Frank Street, on the right when traveling east on Walbridge Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 745 Walbridge Avenue, Toledo OH 43609, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 milesEdward Drummond Libbey High School (approx. ¾ mile away); Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Oliver House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Art Tatum (approx. 1.4 miles away); St. Anthony Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Moses Fleetwood Walker (approx. 1.4 miles away); A Prehistoric Fort (approx. 1½ miles away); The Toledo Zoo / Toledo's Canals (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toledo.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 1, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 1, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.