Glens Falls in Warren County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
History of Crandall Public Library
In 1892, local philanthropist and respected businessman Henry Crandall offered to fund a public library in Glens Falls. Crandell approached Superintendent of Glens Falls City Schools, Dr. Sherman Williams, and donated $2,500 to provide furniture and books for the new library. On February 9, 1893, New York State granted a public library charter for Glens Falls, paving the way for the Crandall Free Library, later called Crandall Library. The original library location was inside of one of Crandall’s Bay Street business buildings (pictured). Prior to his death in 1913, Crandall created a trust fund to help projects he had envisioned come to fruition. The Crandall Trust would provide ongoing funding and support for the new library building, as well as Glens Falls City Park and Crandall Park. In 1919, demolition began on the buildings along Bay Street to make way for the new City Park, which meant the library would need a new home. From 1919-1931, the library set up temporary residence in the Jerome Lapham House (pictured). The Lapham House was located on Ridge Street, north of City Hall. Construction began in 1929 on a permanent home for the
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Education. A significant historical date for this entry is February 9, 1893.
Location. 43° 18.673′ N, 73° 38.735′ W. Marker is in Glens Falls, New York, in Warren County. Marker is on Maple Street east of Bay Street, on the left when traveling west. The marker is in Glens Falls City Park next to the Crandall Public Library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 251 Glen St, Glens Falls NY 12801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “The Spirit of Glens Falls” (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Tree of Friendship (within shouting distance of this marker); Glens Falls War Memorial (about 400 feet The Church of the Messiah (Episcopal) (about 400 feet away); City Park’s Development (about 500 feet away); Weber Furlong (about 500 feet away); The DeLong House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glens Falls.
Also see . . .
1. Henry Crandell. Find A Grave entry. (Submitted on April 8, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
2. Crandall Public Library. (Submitted on April 9, 2020, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 145 times since then and 37 times this year. Last updated on May 3, 2021, by Tisha Dolton of Glens Falls, New York. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 8, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 7. submitted on April 9, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.