Duncanville in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Following a Duncanville town meeting in 1887 in which opposition to building a new school was high due to the possibility of increased taxes, six citizens donated funds to construct the school. The following year Robert N. Daniel donated money for a music room to be added to the property. It was constructed as a separate building and housed a piano for music instruction. When the school was razed, the little music room was left standing. It was used for storage until it was relocated in 1975 and restored for use as a museum.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6793.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Education.
Location. 32° 38.922′ N, 96° 54.319′ W. Marker is in Duncanville, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker can be reached from James Collins Boulevard east of South Main Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. History of the Duncanville Historical Park Windmill (within shouting distance of this marker); First United Methodist Church of Duncanville (approx. Ό mile away); First Christian Church of Duncanville (approx. Ό mile away); Duncanville (approx. 0.4 miles away); John C. Pelt (approx. half a mile away); Penn Springs (approx. 1.4 miles away); Trees Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Daniel Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Duncanville.
More about this marker. The marker is east of South Main Street on James Collins Boulevard, just inside of Armstrong Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2021, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 5, 2021, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.