Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Players

 
 
The Players Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 3, 2021
1. The Players Marker
Inscription.  The Players, a Detroit gentlemen’s amateur theatre club founded in 1911, opened this playhouse in 1926. The handsome building was created by club members William E. Kapp, architect, Corrado Parducci, stone sculptor, and Paul Honore, muralist. The playhouse, built in the style of the sixteenth-century English Renaissance, was one of the earliest major structures in the area to use cinder block laid in ashlar on its interior walls to give the appearance of cut stone. It has been in continual use as a playhouse since its completion.
 
Erected 1987 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1262.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Arts, Letters, Music. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1926.
 
Location. 42° 20.525′ N, 83° 0.861′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of East Jefferson Avenue and Adair Street, on the right when traveling west on East Jefferson Avenue
The Players Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 3, 2021
2. The Players Marker
Entrance to playhouse
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Mounted high on building, to left of doors. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3321 E Jefferson Ave, Detroit MI 48207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Battle of Bloody Run (a few steps from this marker); WGPR-TV (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elmwood Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Michigan Colored Regiment (approx. half a mile away); St. John's Presbyterian Church (approx. ¾ mile away); The Black Presence in Detroit (approx. ¾ mile away); Chapman Abraham / Jewish Soldiers in the Civil War (approx. ¾ mile away); Glimpses of Detroit's Riverfront History (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
 
Also see . . .  Detroit Landmark Built by Detroiters for Detroiters on a historical site. Excerpt:
In Shakespearean tradition, gentlemen play all roles on stage. All performances are done by members for members and are known as ‘frolics’. A frolic is an antiquated term but it fits the form and function of The Players. A frolic is typically a performance of three one-act plays.
(Submitted on May 4, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.) 
 
Front of Theatre image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 3, 2021
3. Front of Theatre
Shows the two Michigan Historic Site markers - The Players and The Battle of Bloody Run
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 4, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=172567

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 16, 2021