Burlington in Burlington County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old St. Mary's Church
As the church continued to recover and
In 1847, while New St. Mary’s Church was under construction, galleries were added in the west transept and in the north end of the nave in Old St. Mary’s Church to accommodate the continually increasing congregation. With the completion of New St. Mary’s Church in 1854, the old church was no longer needed for regular worship services.
In 1875, Old St. Mary’s Church was altered on the interior. In the new configuration, the earlier sections of the building (1703-1711) became a Sunday School room, while the north 1834 addition became a Parish School room and the south addition became a Bible Classroom and Parish library. These changes involved stripping the walls and ceilings completely away, replacing the roof and roof structure, and installing completely new structure and finishes, including a partition wall between the new Parish and Sunday School rooms. These changes were designed by architect William D. Hewitt. The building underwent a comprehensive restoration in 1999-2000. Today Old St. Mary’s Church is one of the oldest extant churches in New Jersey.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1703.
Location. 40° 4.632′ N, 74° 51.642′ W. Marker is in Burlington, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is on Broad Street near Wood Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burlington NJ 08016, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grant House (within shouting distance of this marker); Office of the Council of Proprietors and the Surveyor General (within shouting distance of this marker); Founding of St. Mary’s Parish (within shouting distance of this marker); New St. Mary’s (within shouting distance of this marker); New St. Mary's Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Mary's Churchyard (about 300 feet away); Elias Boudinot (about 500 feet away); Ockanickon (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burlington.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 5, 2021, by Thomas Anderson of Haddon Township, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 5, 2021, by Thomas Anderson of Haddon Township, New Jersey. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.