Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Trinity United Methodist Church

 
 
Trinity United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, May 5, 2021
1. Trinity United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  Methodists formed Tallahassee's first religious organization, which later became Trinity United Methodist Church. They first met in the Myers home on September 28, 1824.Of the ten attendees, six were white and four were black. A city block, at the corner of Bronough Street and Park Avenue, was reserved for the Methodists, and in 1825 a modest wooden church was built on that site. In 1826, part of the ceremony for the laying of the Florida capitol's corner-stone was held there. Trinity acquired property in 1853 for African American congregants on Bronough Street, and later constructed a church building that ultimately became St. James Colored Methodist Church. In 1840, Trinity built a second church at this current site, and a third in 1893. Trinity built this church building, their fourth, in 1964. It was designed in the Colonial Revival Style by Philadelphia architect A. Hansel Fink, and included two sets of stained glass windows by the Willet Studio of Philadelphia. North of the sanctuary is the 1949 education building that provided a kindergarten program before such programs were offered in public schools. The church also began a weekday preschool
Trinity United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, May 5, 2021
2. Trinity United Methodist Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
in 1973, and later, a Lay Academy for adult education.
 
Erected 2019 by Friends of Trinity United Methodist Church, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-1112.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is September 28, 1824.
 
Location. 30° 26.537′ N, 84° 16.964′ W. Marker is in Tallahassee, Florida, in Leon County. Marker is on West Park Avenue near North Duval Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 West Park Avenue, Tallahassee FL 32301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Trinity United Methodist Church (a few steps from this marker); Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leon County's American Revolutionary War Soldiers (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Exchange Bank Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); USS Tallahassee (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old City Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lewis Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); Major General David Lang (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallahassee.
 
Also see . . .  Trinity United Methodist Church. (Submitted on May 5, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 5, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 5, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=172645

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 13, 2021