Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Indian Village

 
 
Indian Village Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 5, 2021
1. Indian Village Marker
Inscription.  Abraham Cook purchased the area, now known as Indian Village, from two French farmers, Gabriel St. Aubin and Francois Rivard, during the first decades of the nineteenth century. The vicinity, known as the Cook Farms, was a race track from 1836 to 1893. In 1894 Cook’s heirs subdivided the property and named it Indian Village. The first home was built in 1895 and Indian Village developed into a distinctive single family residential community of over 300 homes representing a diversity of popular styles of the late 1800s to early 1900s. Due to the unique combination of social and architectural history, Indian Village is one of the most significant neighborhoods in present-day Detroit. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
 
Erected 1978 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number S348.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1894.
 
Location. 42° 21.736′ 
Indian Village Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 5, 2021
2. Indian Village Marker
Marker at northeast corner of Iroquois and Vernor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
N, 82° 59.839′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of East Vernon Highway and Iroquois Avenue, on the left when traveling east on East Vernon Highway. Marker is across the street from Christ Church. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Detroit MI 48214, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eastern Liggett School / Detroit Waldorf School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pewabic Pottery / Mary Chase Perry Stratton (approx. 0.8 miles away); Ossian Sweet House / Dr. Ossian Sweet (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. Anthony Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Elmwood Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Police Radio Dispatch (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Battle of Bloody Run (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Players (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Indian Village Detroit. Excerpt:
Many of the homes were built by prominent architects such as Albert Kahn, Louis Kamper and William Stratton for some of the area’s most prominent citizens such as Edsel Ford. Many of the homes are very large, with some over 12,000 square feet (1,100 m˛). Many have a carriage house, with some of those being larger than an average suburban home. Some of the houses also have large amounts of Pewabic Pottery tiles. The neighborhood contains many historic homes
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
including the automotive entrepreneur Henry Leland, founder of Lincoln and Cadillac, who resided on Seminole Street.
(Submitted on May 10, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 10, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 10, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=173023

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2021