Williamson in Wayne County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Pultneyville Historic District
19th Century Residential Architecture
— Architecture of the Coast —
Gates Hall 1826. Built as a church, since 1860 the building has served the community as a playhouse and meeting hall. This building is the second oldest little theater in continuous use in the U.S.
5 Craggs House c.1870. Built by a local miller, James Craggs, this house has been described as "half castle, half mansion." The Mansard roof is clad with slate and crowned by iron work.
18 Throop House 1832. Built by Captain Horatio N. Throop, lake captain, inventor, and entrepreneur, the first person to be born in the hamlet. A fine example of cobblestone architecture.
21 Palmer House 1850. Built by Captain John Palmer in an Italianate style, this house served as a station on the underground railroad.
24 Customs House c.1840. This residence is the renovated warehouse that was part of the Customs House site, originally owned by Asa Todd.
28 Selby House 1808. Built by
Building Directory. 1. Fish, c.1840 [razed]; 2. Auchanpaugh, c.1860; 3. US Post Office, c.1950; 4. Pallister, c.1850; 5. Craggs, c.1870; 6. Pallister, c.1830; 7. Bramble, c. 1890; 8. Ice House, c.1910; 9. Leaver, c. 1850; 10. Cornwall, c.1850; 11. Pallister, 1897; 12. Rasmussen, c.1840; 13. Todd, c.1874; 14. Sailor's Monument, c.1935; 15. Smith, c.1880; 16. Fish & Benton, c.1900; 17. Reynolds, c.1830; 18. Throop, 1832; 19. Throop, 1828; 20. Burnell, c.1860; 21. Palmer, c.1850; 22. Gloyd, c. 1820; 23. Cady, c.1830; 24. Customs House, 1840; 25. Robeson, c. 1830; 26. Phelps, 1817; 27. Todd, c.1820; 28. Selby, 1808; 29. Todd, c.1830; 30. Powers, c.1840; 31. Dunning, c.1850; 32. Todd, c. 1840; 33. Owens, 1810; 34. Flemming, 1874; 35. Griffin, 1858.
Numbers are given for structures included in the Pultneyville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places. The name shown is the original builder or owner. Not all the buildings included in the district are shown.
The sophisticated architectural styles reflect the prosperity of this Great Lakes shipping port.
Erected by Seaway Trail, Inc.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. Great Lakes Seaway Trail National Scenic Byway series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1808.
Location. 43° 16.922′ N, 77° 11.004′ W. Marker is in Williamson, New York, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Mill Street and Washington Street, on the left when traveling south on Mill Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamson NY 14589, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Battle of Pultneyville (here, next to this marker); First White Men (here, next to this marker); From the Nearby Ravine (a few steps from this marker); Site of Union Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); 100 Years of Dramatics (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wreck of the St. Peter (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (approx. 0.7 miles away); Underground Railroad Terminus (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamson.
Also see . . .
1. Williamson-Pultneyville Historical Society. (Submitted on May 11, 2021, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. Pultneyville Historic District - National Archives. National Register of Historic Places documentation (Submitted on October 25, 2023, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2023. It was originally submitted on May 11, 2021, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 409 times since then and 196 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31. submitted on May 11, 2021, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.