Old Batesburg-Leesville High School
In 1921, the old Batesburg-Leesville High School, the first joint project undertaken by the two separate towns, opened at this site. Influenced by the Tudor Gothic Revival, the two-story brick structure was built for white pupils after the state of S.C. approved the merger of Batesburg and Leesville school systems in 1920.
In 1936, the WPA used local granite to construct a gym. The school began desegregation in 1965, with the first fully integrated class graduating in 1971. The campus housed Batesburg-Leesville Middle School from 1975 to 1999. The main building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982 and razed in 2017.
Sponsored by BLHM Alumni, 2019
Erected 2019 by BLHS Alumni. (Marker Number #32-44.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education. In addition, it is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series list.
Location. 33° 54.648′ N, 81° 31.769′ W. Marker is in Batesburg-Leesville
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lee's Tavern Site (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hartley House (approx. Ύ mile away); Moorefield Memorial Highway (approx. 4.2 miles away); Pinarea / Quattlebaum Sawmill, Flour Mill, and Rifle Factory (approx. 6.2 miles away); Jacob Odom House (approx. 6.6 miles away); Delmar School (approx. 7.6 miles away); a different marker also named Delmar School (approx. 7.6 miles away); Revolutionary Skirmish Near Juniper Springs (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Batesburg-Leesville.
More about this marker. marker replaced an older Blue Star Highway marker
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 12, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.