Angleton in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Tennessee native Rees P. Sweeny (1856-1937) constructed this raised Victorian house in 1896, the year Angleton became the seat of government for Brazoria County. The county's tax collector from the early 1890s to 1902, Sweeny moved here as part of the transition from the earlier county seat, Brazoria. The Sweeny home, which features a central hall plan and was sturdily built on high ground, has often been a refuge during local floods and hurricanes.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9599.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
Location. 29° 10.073′ N, 95° 25.699′ W. Marker is in Angleton, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is on East Locust Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 E Locust Street, Angleton TX 77515, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Angleton Independent School District (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sugar KettleTexas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Brazoria County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brazoria County Ring Of Honor (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Brazos Lighthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Robert J. Calder (approx. ¼ mile away); 1895 Brazoria County Courthouse Column (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Angleton.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 14, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.