Angleton in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Angleton
The First Baptist Church of Angleton was established in 1896 with Joseph Matthew Kailin as pastor. A hurricane in 1900 destroyed the sanctuary. Members met in borrowed facilities until 1911 when a new church building was erected. The congregation rebuilt and repaired after each storm and added facilities as membership grew. The church sponsored missions which became Templo Bautista and the Second Baptist Church of Angleton. The church supports various outreach ministries and remains an integral part of the community.
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9559.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
Location. 29° 10.848′ N, 95° 27.063′ W. Marker is in Angleton, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker can be reached from Anchor Road east of Highway 288, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 972 Anchor Road, Angleton TX 77515, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as First Missionary Baptist Church of Angleton (approx. 1.1 miles away); 1895 Brazoria County Courthouse Column (approx. 1.4 miles away); Robert J. Calder (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Brazos Lighthouse (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old Brazoria County Courthouse (approx. 1.4 miles away); Brazoria County Ring Of Honor (approx. 1.4 miles away); Sugar Kettle (approx. 1˝ miles away); Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Angleton.
More about this marker. This marker was originally installed in 1997 at the location of the First Baptist Church in downtown Angleton at 237 East Locust Street. However, the church moved to a new structure in the period of 2020-2021 on the northwest outskirts of town (with an address of 972 Anchor Road) and the marker was relocated to be in a median of the parking lot just in front of and facing towards the new church. A buried time capsule was also moved, now existing near the base of the historical marker.
Regarding First Baptist Church of Angleton. The prior church structure on Locust Street was in the block just east of the Brazoria County Courthouse (the block already shared with a courthouse parking lot), and has apparently been acquired by
Credits. This page was last revised on May 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. This page has been viewed 207 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 14, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.