Angleton in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Missionary Baptist Church of Angleton
Angleton's First Missionary Baptist Church organized in 1898, when it primarily served African American field hands and tenant farmers from the surrounding agricultural area. In 1905, under the direction of the Rev. Hamp Evans, congregants built their first sanctuary. The church held services once a month, eventually adding other Sunday services as the membership grew. Throughout its history, the church has been a social and cultural focal point of its community. It also played a role in civil rights efforts in the 1960s and 1970s, as citizens gathered to discuss strategies for integrating the local chemical industry.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13294.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
Location. 29° 10.104′ N, 95° 26.311′ W. Marker is in Angleton, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is on West Live Oak Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Robert J. Calder (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1895 Brazoria County Courthouse Column (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Brazos Lighthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Brazoria County Ring Of Honor (approx. 0.4 miles away); Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Brazoria County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sugar Kettle (approx. 0.4 miles away); Angleton Independent School District (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Angleton.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. This page has been viewed 113 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 14, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.