Alvin in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church of Alvin
The history of this congregation can be traced to 1890. Many families moved to Alvin at that time to take advantage of economic opportunities offered by the surrounding agricultural development. Among the new citizens were a number of Presbyterians. Led by the Rev. Robert Hamilton Byers, Home Mission Secretary of the Brazos Presbytery based in Houston, they conducted worship services in the local Methodist church and joined with their Methodist neighbors to operate a Union Sunday School.
Soon the Presbyterian group was large enough to establish its own congregation. On June 14, 1892, with the help of the Rev. Dr. Byers and the Rev. W. N. Scott, the First Presbyterian Church of Alvin was officially organized with sixteen charter members, two ruling elders, and two deacons. Two years later the congregation acquired land at this site and built its first sanctuary. The 1894 building continued to serve the congregation until 1960, when it was replaced by a larger structure.
Throughout its history, the First Presbyterian Church has served the community of Alvin with a variety of worship, educational, and outreach programs.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 29° 25.273′ N, 95° 15.087′ W. Marker is in Alvin, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is at the intersection of West Lang Street and South Beauregard Street, on the right when traveling west on West Lang Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alvin TX 77511, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Birchfield - McCown House (within shouting distance of this marker); Cummings - Smith House (approx. ¼ mile away); Old City Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); First Methodist Church of Alvin (approx. 0.9 miles away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. 1½ miles away); a different marker also named Confederate Cemetery (approx. 1½ miles away); Vicinity of Oyster Creek and Chocolate Bayou (approx. 6.4 miles away); Magnolia Creek Cemetery (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alvin.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 19, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 19, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.