The Johlin Cabin
Pearson Metropark is one of the last remaining pieces of the Great Black Swamp, which once blanketed much of the region.
The Johlin Cabin is a log home built in the swamp in 1867. Originally located about 1.5 miles from here on Corduroy Road between Coy and Lallendorf roads, the 20-by-26-foot home remained in the Johlin family until Frederick Carl Johlin, Sr., donated the structure to Metroparks in 2006. It was moved here to demonstrate what life was like in the notorious swamp.
Log homes were built as permanent structures using hewed logs, a shingle roof, brick chimney, glass windows and a cellar. The Johlin's home not only has all of these characteristics, but also has the mark of their German homeland, such as horizontal clapboarding on the framed gables, a central chimney for a stove, an off-center front door, room partitions and a shingled roof.
Erected by Metroparks Toledo Area.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 41°
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. CCC Builds A Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Natural Mosquito Repellent (approx. 0.6 miles away); A Sticky Situation (approx. 0.6 miles away); United Hebrew Benevolent Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Birmingham / Ironville (approx. 3.3 miles away); Peter and Robert Navarre (approx. 3.7 miles away); Peter Navarre (approx. 3.7 miles away); James B. Steedman (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oregon.
Also see . . .
1. George W. Pearson Collection - MS 57. This is a link to information provvided by the Bowling Green State University Center for Archival Collections. (Submitted on November 15, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Pearson Metropark. This is a link to information provided by the Metroparks of the Toledo Area. (Submitted on November 15, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. Toledo Area Metroparks. Link is of Toledo (Submitted on November 16, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio.)
1. Pearson Park History
Pearson Metropark was part of the Great Black Swamp, a region once described as the most "forsacken,desolate, and inhospitable" wilderness in America. Today, Pearson is one of the last remnants of the infamous swamp. Pearson's fascinating history, natural attributes and recreational facilities make the 624 acre Metropark of the most heavily used in Lucas County.
Pearson was dedicated August 30, 1934 in honor of George W. Pearson, an East Toledo resident and reporter for The Blade.
Mr. Pearson campaigned for 20 years to save the land that now composes the park, and hundreds of citizens joined the effort. Once known as the Bank Lands because the property was often mortgaged and held by banks as a loan security, the first 280 acres were finally purchased off the auction block with funds from an anonymous donor. The next 40 acres were acquired through fundraising plan called "Living Memorials" with donor plaques placed on trees. In 2006, a group of citizens began another campaign to raise money for a 300 acre addition north of North of Starr Avenue, which will include a historical
Many of the park's facilities were constructed during the Great Depression by workers of the Works Progress Administration and the Civilian Conversation Corps. Even the man-made ponds,originally dug with pics and shovels. Pearson's natural area is a remnant of the Black Swamp which was once a nearly impassable barrier to travel and settlement area. The dense woodland and soggie ground are to two factors: flatness of the land and heavy clay soils.
INFORMATION FROM TOLEDO AREA METROPARKS FLIER
Credits. This page was last revised on May 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 911 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on May 20, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 16, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio. 3. submitted on November 13, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio. 4. submitted on November 16, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio. 5. submitted on November 13, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio. 6. submitted on November 16, 2011, by Thomas Cluckey II of Oregon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.