Alvin in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Cummings - Smith House
After the Galveston hurricane of 1900 destroyed his home, banker-investor Oscar Smith Cummings (1866-1941) hired contractors Booth and Bigler to salvage the materials and build this Victorian residence in 1900-01. Oscar Smith, owner of a local meat market, bought the dwelling when Cummings moved to Houston in 1904. Threatened with demolition in 1972, the house was purchased and restored by Mr. and Mrs. Hubert G. Howerton.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977
Erected 1977 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9550.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. 29° 25.256′ N, 95° 14.869′ W. Marker is in Alvin, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South Hill Street and West Lang Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 503 W Lang Street, Alvin TX 77511, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Presbyterian Church of Alvin (approx. ¼ mile away); Birchfield - McCown HouseOld City Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Methodist Church of Alvin (approx. 0.8 miles away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named Confederate Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Vicinity of Oyster Creek and Chocolate Bayou (approx. 6½ miles away); Magnolia Creek Cemetery (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alvin.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 20, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 20, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.