Liverpool in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Liverpool Post Office
Liverpool, officially founded in 1837, received most of its mail by boat via Galveston or Velasco before the 1840s. Warren D. C. Hall (1788-1867), a leader in the Texas revolution and former secretary of war in the Republic of Texas, became Liverpool's first postmaster in 1846. Three more postmasters served before the office was closed in 1867. There was no post office in Liverpool during the reconstruction period following the Civil War; the closest was at Sandy Point, a community on the Columbia Tap Railroad.
Allen Levie became postmaster in 1879, receiving mail three times a week. Thirteen years later, Margaret Wehrly moved the post office to a building away from the Liverpool center. As did many businesses, the office moved closer to the newly erected iron bridge which spanned Chocolate Bayou. From 1892 to 1900, the post office moved several times between the iron bridge and downtown Liverpool.
Postal operations were usually housed in the postmaster's residence or business such as the depot, general store, or ferry office. Henry Clement built the first postal building near his home in 1900. In 1908, the new Liverpool
With its twenty-third postmaster appointed in 1997, the Liverpool Post Office continues to serve the area.
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11764.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
Location. 29° 17.638′ N, 95° 16.709′ W. Marker is in Liverpool, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Main Street and Avenue G, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Liverpool TX 77577, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Liverpool Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); Thomas Jefferson Callihan (approx. ¾ mile away); Vicinity of Oyster Creek and Chocolate Bayou (approx. 2.8 miles away); First Methodist Church of Alvin (approx. 8.2 miles away); Old City Cemetery (approx. 8½ miles away); Birchfield - McCown House (approx. 8.9 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Alvin (approx. 9 miles away); Cummings - Smith House (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liverpool.
Also see . . . Liverpool at The Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on May 21, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 21, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 21, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.