Near Weston in Lewis County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Jackson’s Mill / Jackson Graves
Boyhood home (2 Mi. W.) of Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson. First mill was built about 1808 by grandfather, Col. Edward Jackson, a leader in border affairs. Now site of the West Virginia 4-H Camp for Boys and Girls.
Two miles west in the old Jackson Cemetery are buried Colonel Edward Jackson and Elizabeth Jackson, the grandparents of General Stonewall Jackson with whom he lived until he became a Cadet at the West Point Military Academy.
Erected 1963 by West Virginia Historic Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1808.
Location. 39° 3.848′ N, 80° 27.315′ W. Marker is near Weston, West Virginia, in Lewis County. Marker is at the intersection of Jackson's Mill Road (County Route 12) and U.S. 19, on the right when traveling north on Jackson's Mill Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Weston WV 26452, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Graves of Heroes (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jackson’s Mill (approx. 1.3 miles Weston Colored School (approx. 1.8 miles away); Weston State Hospital (approx. 1.8 miles away); a different marker also named Weston State Hospital (approx. 1.9 miles away); Seizure of Weston Bank Funds (approx. 1.9 miles away); Louis Bennett Library (approx. 2 miles away); Weston (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weston.
More about this marker. The 1937 issue of West Virginia Historic and Scenic Highway Markers, compiled by Ross S. Johnston and Isaac McNeel and published by the State Road Commission of West Virginia, shows the following inscription for this marker (then a one-sided marker). Underlined are the differences compared to the current marker.
Site of boyhood home of General Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson (4 Mi. W.) The first mill was built about 1808 by his grandfather, Colonel Edward Jackson, who became a leader in border affairs. It is now the site of the West Virginia 4-H Camp for Boys and Girls.It places the marker at “Secondary 1 west of Jackson’s Mill" which would place it in Jane Lew, at the corner of Main Street (US 19) and High Street, which is 4.2 road miles east of Jackson's Mill.
1. His home and the graves are really 2.7, 2.8 miles north
The “2 Mi. W.” and “two miles west” on this sign do not make sense. Jackson’s Mill is 2.7 road miles mostly north (the road leans a bit to the west as it heads north). The graves are another tenth of a mile further. The marker is on West Virginia County Route 12, and even-numbered state and county roads are north-south roads. And finally, there are no major intersections approximately 2 miles east of Jackson’s Mill where this sign could have originally been planted.
Take a look at the text, reproduced above, of the original 1930s marker. That marker was located about 4 miles east of Jackson’s Mill. A good guess would be that
And then, on the reverse side, the west versus north error is repeated. If you accept the previous guess, then it can be extended to say that the writers of second side text took their cue from the incorrectly marked up first side.
— Submitted May 24, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2020, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 55 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on May 23, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1. submitted on November 30, 2020, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on May 23, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 3. submitted on November 30, 2020, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 4, 5. submitted on May 23, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.