Smith Covered Bridge
A covered bridge was often used for more than just travel. Robbers and lovers took advantage of the darkness created by its enclosed sides.
Early wooden bridges were often covered with a roof and siding to protect their structure from the weather. Tolls were charged on many covered bridges for pedestrians, wagons and carriages, and livestock.
Robert W. Smith, of the Smith Bridge Company in Toledo, Ohio, built this bridge. It utilizes a series of elongated triangular frames known as the Warren truss system. The arches and front and rear overhangs were added at a later date.
Built in 1870 over the Little Sugar Creek on Feedwire Road near Bellbrook, Ohio.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Bridges & Viaducts. In addition, it is included in the Covered Bridges 🌉 series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 39° 43.682′ N, 84° 12.147′ W. Marker is in Moraine, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Carillon Boulevard 0.3 miles west of South Patterson Boulevard, on the left when traveling west
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dayton Cyclery (within shouting distance of this marker); Miami and Erie Canal Lock No. 17 (within shouting distance of this marker); Bowling Green Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great 1913 Flood Exhibit Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Canal Superintendent's Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Wright Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Dayton Sales (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James F. Dickie Family Transportation Center (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moraine.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.