Perry in Wyoming County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The early history of our country is one of western expansion into wilderness areas. These settlers were not only people looking for new opportunity, but also people of strong religious faith founded in Christian doctrine. Clergy were in short supply in these remote areas; people were ministered by traveling preachers called circuit riders. Circuits were established in the early 1800s with the preachers traveling by horseback carrying all their supplies. They preached morning and evening resting only a few days a month. People traveled by foot, horseback, and wagon to religious gatherings when the circuit rider was in the area. These gatherings lasted for days and became known as camp meetings. Camp meetings continued through the 1800s despite easier travel with railroad and highway improvements and the increased number of clergy.
Pictured above is the “Pavilion,” as it was known locally, and the “Preacher Stand,” as it was known historically (circa 1870s). It was most likely located on the west side of the park. “Camp Wesley” was the first name given to the new camp ground. It began in 1873 as a traditional camp meeting and had
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
Location. 42° 41.98′ N, 78° 1.283′ W. Marker is in Perry, New York, in Wyoming County. Marker is at the intersection of Perry Avenue and Genesee Street, on the right when traveling north on Perry Avenue. Located in Bishop William Burt Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Perry NY 14530, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bishop William Burt (here, next to this marker); Auditorium / Amphitheater (here, next to this marker); Epworth Hall (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pioneer Cabin (approx. half a mile away); Silver Lake Mills of Perry (approx. 1.4 miles away); Andrus Mill Pond (approx. 1˝ miles away); Historic Water Trough (approx. 1.6 miles away); Richmond-Andrus Mill Site (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perry.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2021, by Bruce Kelly of Perry, New York. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 23, 2021, by Bruce Kelly of Perry, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.